Skip to Main Content

Entry Clearance and Visa Guide

This information is for guidance only. Please refer to the UKVI website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Student visa

As an international student, you must obtain a student visa before coming to study in the UK. This visa allows you to enrol at your specific university (known as your Sponsor) and may allow you to undertake part-time work whilst studying. (All BCUIC students are directly sponsored by Birmingham City University (BCU).)


To study in the UK, you need to be sponsored by an educational institution such as BCU. The confirmation of this sponsorship comes in the form of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which you will receive from the BCUIC Admissions team once you have accepted your offer and paid your deposit. When you apply for a visa, you must include your unique CAS number in the application to confirm your sponsorship.

Visa application

It’s essential that you apply for your visa as soon as you have received your CAS. To apply, you will need to complete an application form, pay a fee, and include:

  • a current passport or travel document
  • your CAS statement
  • documents to show you have the right finances (maintenance) available
  • documents used by your sponsor (BCU) when they accepted you onto the course.

The UKVI will also need to record your biometric details if you are applying from outside the United Kingdom.

For information about the credibility interview process, visit this page on the Navitas website.

If you have any queries about the visa application process, please send an email to

Back to Top